- Do not create a problem for yourself or anybody else. If there is a problem, I will do something.
- Align your actions with the Great Hearts virtues of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.
Bathroom: Students will be allowed to use the bathroom several times throughout the day. The best times to go will be before school, during transitions, lunch, recess and if they have finished their work early. However, there are always emergencies, so if they have to go during instruction, we will have a non verbal hand signal for them to alert me to the problem. (NOTE: If your child has a bladder issue and needs unrestricted access to the bathroom, please let me know (preferably in writing). I want to be sure no one has medical problems related to the bathroom.
Attendance: It is very important that students be at school on time every day. It is the responsibility of the student to ask either myself or my aide for any missed work.
Late Work (subject to change):
- For excused absences: Late work will be accepted the day after they return. (If they are gone 2 days, it can be turned in 2 days after they return.) If you know in advance your student is going to be out for an extended period (i.e., chicken pox, vacation) please call the school and ask for the work to be sent home. Our 3rd grade team generally has classwork and homework prepared for the current week on Monday. NOTE: Please see Family Handbook for school policies regarding vacations taking place near a school break.
- For unexcused absences: Late work will be accepted on a case by case basis. Please send me an email and I will be happy to work with you. However, please see the Family Handbook for school policies regarding unexcused absences and homework.
- For work that was not turned in: I will accept homework that was not turned in on time, however for each day it is late I will take away 10% of the possible points. If it is turned in three days, the student will only be able to receive 70% of the possible points.
Snacks: I will provide time for snacks in the morning, usually around 9:00 – 9:30. Feel free to send a SMALL snack with your child. There are a few restrictions:
- No colored sugary drinks.
- We have a NUT FREE classroom – no nuts or nut butters please
- Snacks should always be healthy, no candy.
- No chips with “cheese powder” like Doritos, Cheetos, etc. The cheese powder gets all over everything in the classroom.
Hand Sanitizer, lotion:
- I AM ALLERGIC TO FRAGRANCE/PERFUME/COLOGNE.
- Students may not wear any lotion that has fragrance in my classroom. It is usually okay if they put it on before they get to school (the scent will dry down). Please do send any lotion or hand sanitizer with your student. I will provide unscented lotion in the classroom.
- Students may use hand sanitizer as they leave for lunch (the school provided hand sanitizer). I ask that they put it on as they leave the room.
- I encourage students to wash their hands WITH SOAP in the restrooms and to rinse their hands thoroughly.
Hallway Lines and Behavior
- Students walk in single file line behind Ms. Pape. Mrs. Cowen will follow at the back of the line.
- Students should be silent while inside the building, with hands behind their back (or in pockets).
- Students may not step out of line to get a drink or go to the bathroom unless prior permission has been given by Mrs. Cowen or Ms. Pape.
- Students may sit with whomever they choose as long as with classmates and must be quiet and respectful
- This is another great time to use the restroom and refill water bottles.